Born from New Zealand, Aotearoa and Smoked in Brooklyn, Captain Smolders promises to transform your understanding of what a “normal” package of smoked salmon should deliver. We only use Free Farmed and Free Running Salmon sourced from Finland, Scotland, Canada and the US. We take great care to ensure that both our cold and hot smoked processes deliver the same delicious experience with every mouthful.
Our packaged filets are thick and juicy and are never smoked with preservatives or artificial flavors, which ultimately cover up and suppress the natural, delicious taste and texture of the fish. We use simple ingredients and smoking techniques, using New Zealand Manuka Wood Chips to smoke our filets. The flavor is in the preparation and smoking and through its simplicity and texture.
We hope you enjoy Captain Smolders creative and flavorful interpretation of what Smoked Salmon should taste like.
Captain Smolders is a second generation family recipe passed on from father to son. Our founder was born in India and grew up in New Zealand, or Aotearoa, meaning "The Land of The Long White Cloud". He attended his local Ngati Whatua Marae Kindergarten, Kohanga Reo, and identified closely with Maori culture and the way of being, or Kia Kaha, which translates to "Stay Strong". As such, he proudly calls himself a "Maori Pakeha”. Since leaving New Zealand in 2003, he has travelled extensively around the world and has called Brooklyn NY his home for over 10 years.
Some Of The Captain's Classic Recipes:
1.Smoked Poached Eggs
- Two free range eggs soft poached
- Heavily toasted Rye or Ciabatta bread
- Dijon Mustard and Mayo over toast
- Served on a bed of baby Arugula with a white vinegar and olive oil dressing
- Garnished with fresh dill and cherry tomatoes
2. Captain's Salad
- Serve Salmon on a bed of baby Arugula, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes placed on Endives
- Dress using Dijon vinaigrette
- Serve with toasted baguette
3. Charcuterie Board
- Captain Smolders
- Anything else you want, duh